static ip route will not work

Unanswered Question
Aug 14th, 2008

cisco 2651XM router

the above router is my current gateway to the internet for a small lan of PC's. The lan is on 172.16.1.xx and it connects to f0/0 which is set at The internet is via an adsl wic card which is Dialer0.

I originally used sdm to do the route which set it dynamically as:

ip route Dialer0 and the internet works with this.

I've tried to alter it to a static route but when I do the internet goes off.

ip route Dialer0 doesn't work

ip route Dialer0 doesn't work.

I don't understand why setting a static route makes the internet go down when this looks like the correct route.

Thanks for any pointers.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Tarun Lohumi Thu, 08/14/2008 - 15:21

There is a difference between the 2 commands.

ip route Dialer0

This command means that let's say a packet is heading for The router obviously does not have a route for it, hence the packet would be thrown to the gateway of last resaort which is Dialer0.

ip route Dialer0

This command means that to go to the network go to Dialer0. So it does not talks about any other traffic. This route would match only the traffic going to while the route would match traffic to any destination which the router does not has a route for.

Hope that helps !!

husycisco Thu, 08/14/2008 - 16:10

Hello Anthony,

Simple route entries like you issue are "destination network" specific, not source network. So the way you think "I want network originated traffic to be routed to Dialer0" is wrong. "I want ...... destined traffic to be routed to Dialer0" is the correct statement.

If you want to be more specific and say "I want x network sourced traffic routed to this gateway" or "I want x network sourced traffic and destined to y network, to be routed to that gateway" you need PBR (Policy Based Routing). You can achieve this by using route-maps

Richard Burts Thu, 08/14/2008 - 18:28

Tarun got it exactly right and deserves the rating that I gave. to route by source address will require Policy Based Routing. Normal routing is based on destination addresses.

tonyspcrepairs Fri, 08/15/2008 - 10:29

ok thanks for your response. I still find it confusing but I suppose that's because I'm a beginner to cisco routers. It's hard to grasp how this router 'thinks' so I expect more reading and study is called for.

This Discussion