cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2560 switch connected to Cisco 2500 router

bbolton3876
Level 1
Level 1

I am connecting a Cisco 2560 switch into Cisco 2500 router. My questions are: Will this work? If so, with what tools can utilize the full capability of the switch or the router?

2 Replies 2

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Barnet,

Do you have a special reson for thinking a possibilty of a switch and a router not to work? Simply, it will work. But never heard of a switch 2560 of Cisco. Can it be HP? Brands does not differ, a switch and a router can work correctly, but you should use open standard protocols instead Cisco proprietary ones.

For us to make suggestion on tweaks for full capability, we have to know your devices an services needs, simply a vasic infrastructure.

Regards

Barnett

Huseyin is correct that the confusion about switch model numbers makes it difficult to give really good answers to the question. I believe that to answer well your question we need to know more about what you intend to do with the switch.

Bear in mind that the 2500 router Ethernet does not do subinterfaces and does not do VLAN trunking. So it will work well if the connection from the router to the switch is an access port and not a trunk port. It will not work as you intend if the switch port is a trunk port. This means that all ports on the switch much belong to the same VLAN if it is to work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: