cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

patching 2 clustered c350s

Anthony Bundy
Level 1
Level 1

Iv patched them separately before. So Iv been through that process. But now that they are clustered, I am not sure how to proceed. I think i should do this:

1) Patch 1 unit. ( warning says all will be disconnected)
2) when it reboots, re-join it to the cluster.
3) patch 2nd unit (should already be un-clustered??)
4) re-join when the 2nd unit reboots.

am I even close?

5 Replies 5

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

You can't re-join them to the cluster if they're on different AsyncOS versions or builds numbers.

As a good practice, save the configuration file with the passwords unmasked before upgrading.

1. Do an administrative disconnect on both machines.
2. Suspend the listener on the first machine and then upgrade that one, while the second appliance is still processing mail.
3. Once the first appliance is complete in the upgrade, you can reboot it. Once it comes back up, resume the listener and verify mail flow
(tail mail_logs)
4. Then suspend the listener on the second appliance and repeat the upgrade and reboot process. Once the 2nd appliance is back up, resume the listener and verify mail flow
5. Once both machines are verified to be receiving mail, you can re-join both appliances to the cluster.

Iv patched them separately before. So Iv been through that process. But now that they are clustered, I am not sure how to proceed. I think i should do this:

1) Patch 1 unit. ( warning says all will be disconnected)
2) when it reboots, re-join it to the cluster.
3) patch 2nd unit (should already be un-clustered??)
4) re-join when the 2nd unit reboots.

am I even close?

Anthony Bundy
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a million! that makes perfect sense!

Jason Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

This is also the process that I use... I have two C600s clustered together and usually updgrade one and then let it run mail for a few days to make sure the upgrade didn't break anything. Then when I'm comfortable with the upgrade I go ahead and upgrade the other box. So far the upgrades haven't broken anything for me and the process has worked well.

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

Sounds like a good plan JMeyer! Just remember that when they're de-clustered, that changes aren't propagated to both machines, so if you must make administrative changes, remember to do it on both machines since they are not clustered during this testing phase that you mentioned.

This is also the process that I use...   I have two C600s clustered together and usually updgrade one and then let it run mail for a few days to make sure the upgrade didn't break anything.  Then when I'm comfortable with the upgrade I go ahead and upgrade the other box.   So far the upgrades haven't broken anything for me and the process has worked well.

Anthony Bundy
Level 1
Level 1

:D

Thank you all for your replies! I will do ALL of the above.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: