i know there are a lot of posts already there about this however i just wanted to put my scenario on the board to have a more general stepped approach to our upgrade.
here is the scenario
We had unity 4.0 on an old MCS 7825 server 200 users. this was VM Only and exchange etc was installed on the unity server.
about 6 months ago the customer bought a new server and we migrated this solution to the new servers. same config and still VM only.
the customer just bought UNTY 5 UM and we need to install that on the new server.
so my question is the following
1. what are the steps for us to upgrade from vm TO UM without disruption - our AA resides on the existing unity.
2. im not too clear on how the exchange part works. as it is now, we installed exchange on the same box, with UM we are to use the customer's Exhange. How does the upgrade actually work.
basically this is how i was looking at it
1. Contact cisco and ask them to reissue VM User licenses so i can place on our old server (so i can work with the new server offline)
2. rebuild the new server with required OS and install same 4.0 version and then re-migrate users
3. Upgrade to 5.X and establish new partner exchange server 2007 that resides on customer network.
4. Place new server back into production.
Whats also a little grey is when rebuilding the new server, do i still install exchange locally to the unity and have it in its own workgroup...little confused :)
any help as usual would be greatly appreicated.
sorry if im rambling