cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping timeout

ctioko
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i have a direct connection btn two switches but when i ping one of them from the other it only does atmost 60% passthrough. that means connection to core servers also suffers. any ideas?

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Christopher,

you should provide more info about this issue to get better help.

First check physical link(s) with sh interface to look if there are input errors of any type increasing over time and/or if the link is fully loaded you will see output drops incrementing over time.

If fiber links verify that the type of GBIC or SFP matches on both ends and that fiber type is correct.

a fiber core of 50 or 60 micrometers means multimode, 9 or 12 means single mode

Hope to help

Giuseppe

hi Giuseppe,

this how the setup is sw1 is a vtp server with all the vlans that propagete to sw2 whose users entirelly belong to vlan6. i have an int vlan 6 svi on sw1 with ip add .1 while the svi at sw2 has ip add .9 sw2 can only ping 20% or 0% to .1 on sw1. i have atttached the out put of port config showing no input errors thoough am abit worried on the number of multicast it is receiving.

Hello Cristhopher,

may you add the sh int on the other side and the sh int switchport for both ?

Do you have a trunk port between them ?

the link is not congested, you use a 1000baseT gigabit port so no fiber issues.

a L2 config mismatch will lead to 0% success.

brodcasts and multicasts are not too high.

If you have a routing protocol running on vlan 6 core switch, its hello messages are sent as multicast.

Have you had an electric black-out recently ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Try using extended ping commands and specifying a source interface.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco