cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

setup Guest access to WLAN

gawilley5
Level 1
Level 1

I have 8 Cisco 1230AP's providing access to my LAN for laptop users. The encryption is via WPA. I now need to setup unencrypted access to the internet for guests/visitors - keeping them away from my LAN and internal network. How can I do this? Do I just setup a 2nd SSID and allow access to be wide open or do I need to implement some type of VLAN? My switch is unmanaged and it is not a Cisco brand. Thanks for your help...

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I saw your other post and you can ignore that, since you have an unmanaged switch. No matter what you do, all traffic will be dumped out the ap to you lan. This is due to the fact that you can't create a trunk between the ap and the switch which will allow you to have multiple vlans. If you only need guest access in a certain location, you can just add an access point and set that up to go out to a dsl or broadband connection.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card