cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Per Floor Vlan / DHCP

HoustonG33K
Level 1
Level 1

I've been reading about per floor vlan's and I want to do that. My question is when I use Vlan 100 for the first floor and vlan 200 on the second floor in a different subnet I guess I need a seperate DHCP pool for each subnet?

Thanks

Donnie

3 Replies 3

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Donnie, you have the correct idea, if you create VLAN100 for the switch say in floor-1 you create SVI in tour code switch, assume VLAN100 for floor-1 is 10.10.10.0/24 then you would need a DHCP pool for that subnet and configure ip-helper address in SVI interface for vlan100, repeat the process for VLAN200 etc..

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Donnie,

your understanding is correct you need a separate DHCP scope/pool for each IP subnet/Vlan.

We do so and it works well at some remote sites.

If using an external DHCP you will need ip helper-address x.x.x.x under each SVI L3 Vlan configuration instead of defining the DHCP pool.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

HoustonG33K
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both! Thats what I thought. I work for an engineering firm that uses huge CAD drawings and the network has been limping bad. I thought by per floor vlans i could speed things up a little bit.

Thanks again!

Donnie

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card