cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ipod ports???

midkiff69
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, what to allow Ipod traffice through your firewall. Do you know the ports for Apple Ipods or Ipods in general?

Do you know of any good docmentation on this issue?

TIA, Mike

8 Replies 8

Hi Mike,

What exactly are you referring to when you ask what ports the iPod uses? Are you asking about iTunes music downloads? Or are you referring to something like the iPod touch that connects via 802.11?

-Mike

Hi Mike, sorry, I should have more correctly said iPhone. We have to faculty that what to access the network thru our firewall with iPhones. Can you advise on this?

TIA,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm still not exactly sure what you are asking for. If you're referring to an iPhone connected to your network via Wifi, it could use a handful of ports (TCP/80 for HTTP, for example).

Do you have an example of a specific application your iPhone users are trying to use through the firewall?

-Mike

Sorry I am not being very clear.

We have faculty with iPhones that want access to our network from the outside world. I am not sure what I need to pass thru the firewall to allow this or how to go about it. I suspect they will want browser, mail for sure.

TIA,

Gary

Just use the ASA capture command from your Iphone source and find out the ports. Or just permit ALL IP traffic from that source and log it. Then analyze it.

Regards

Farrukh

The iPhone also has an IPSec VPN client, so that may be something you want to look into.

-Mike

If I am understanding you correctly, your iPhone users want to access corporate resource from anywhere. Most likely they want to access e-mail from home or at least away from the office. First, does your security policy allow personal equipment to attached to your network? If my assumptions are correct the following might help.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/Q_22998562.html

If you decide to move forward, you should consider the iPhone's VPN client.

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you mean the iPod or the iTune?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60789

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: