Guest access to WLAN.

Answered Question
Aug 15th, 2008
User Badges:

I have 8 Cisco 1230AP's providing access to my LAN for laptop users. The encryption is via WPA. I now need to setup unencrypted access to the internet for guests/visitors - keeping them away from my LAN and internal network. How can I do this? Thanks for your help...

Correct Answer by Scott Fella about 8 years 9 months ago

the only thing you can really do if your ap's are autonomous is to create another ssid and place that on a different vlan. Then you can use acl's to prevent guest subnet from accessing the internal network. Or you can place the guest user on that different vlan and then have a dsl connected to that subnet for guest users to use. That vlan will not have a layer 3 interface so it will be isolated from the rest of your network.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Scott Fella Fri, 08/15/2008 - 18:24
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

the only thing you can really do if your ap's are autonomous is to create another ssid and place that on a different vlan. Then you can use acl's to prevent guest subnet from accessing the internal network. Or you can place the guest user on that different vlan and then have a dsl connected to that subnet for guest users to use. That vlan will not have a layer 3 interface so it will be isolated from the rest of your network.

Actions

This Discussion