cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP on ASA

shanemcanuff
Level 1
Level 1

I have two ASA 5520 running, if the main firewall fail it should fail over to the 2nd, I want to get a next ISP so if the 1st ISP fail it should fail over to the next ISP, I want to use BGP to route between ISP, do I have to get a router and put it before the two ASA or I can run BGP on the two ASA, so if one ISP fail it fail over to the next ISP and keep the same config that if one firewall fail it fail over to the next ASA?

Can any one help me out, I really don't want to buy a next router.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

if i think about BGP then u need a router

but have a look at the following link and try to use the idea in it in ur case

not ssure if it goona work with two ASAs

but check it out and good luck

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

please, if hlepful rate

View solution in original post

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There isn't much benefit of using the BGP for 'just failover' unless you have the whole internet routing table and want to load balance or something. For two ISPs (with one as backup) you can use the procedure in the link provided by Marwan. The ASA does not support BGP at all. However you can make it pass through the ASA (if required).

Regards

Farrukh

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

if i think about BGP then u need a router

but have a look at the following link and try to use the idea in it in ur case

not ssure if it goona work with two ASAs

but check it out and good luck

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

please, if hlepful rate

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There isn't much benefit of using the BGP for 'just failover' unless you have the whole internet routing table and want to load balance or something. For two ISPs (with one as backup) you can use the procedure in the link provided by Marwan. The ASA does not support BGP at all. However you can make it pass through the ASA (if required).

Regards

Farrukh

Thx for your help, if I use this config, can I NAT two diff.. public IP to one server?

Yes you can!

Regards

Farrukh

Thx for all the help you guys have given to me.

rgmarti25
Level 1
Level 1

Wondering if any of the latest ASA updates now allow the ASA5520 to support BGP?  How about the new ASA5525, will that support BGP?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card