cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intermittent Internet access on PIX 501 6.3(5)

a.ajiboye
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having problem accessing the Internet from the LAN behind a PIX 501. This has been working for months but suddenly I discovered that Internet access is intermittent. Access to the Internet works for about 10-15 minutes and then goes down. When I reboot the firewall or clear ARP the Internet works again. I turn on debug with "debug arp" and I an getting the error message "arp-in: Dropping request at outside from unsolicited non-adjacent ROUTEOUTSIDE 0002.cf69.50cf for 82.x.137.x 0000.0000.0000"

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Thank you for your help.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Couple of things to check.

Do you have ICMP permitted on the outside interface of the PIX. If so, can you ask someone to ping from the internet to that outside IP address.

When they ping, can you unplug the outside interface and see if they get a response back.

If so, then there is a problem with the ISP. They might have given your IP Address to someone else.

If that is not the issue, then you might have to open a TAC case and address this issue.

Cheers,

Gilbert

Rate this post, if it helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Couple of things to check.

Do you have ICMP permitted on the outside interface of the PIX. If so, can you ask someone to ping from the internet to that outside IP address.

When they ping, can you unplug the outside interface and see if they get a response back.

If so, then there is a problem with the ISP. They might have given your IP Address to someone else.

If that is not the issue, then you might have to open a TAC case and address this issue.

Cheers,

Gilbert

Rate this post, if it helps.

Thanks for your response.

I discovered that one of the servers on the LAN is sharing the same IP address as the Inside Interface of the PIX Firewall.

This was the reason for intermittent connectivity to the Internet.