ACE: Lost all IP connectivity

Unanswered Question
Aug 18th, 2008

I've lost all IP connectivity to/from one ACE blade. Everything has failed-over to the resilient blade so service isn't affected.

Are there any useful diagnostics I can collect before I reset the whole blade?

I can create a session to the blade from the host router.

ACE Software version is 2.1.0a.

Thank you

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Gilles Dufour Mon, 08/18/2008 - 03:45

if you can keep the blade in that state, call the TAC and have them give you a list of useful commands.

Get a 'show tech' and send it to them as a first step, but don't reload (if you can) until we get a chance to look at the show tech.

ciscocsoc Mon, 08/18/2008 - 03:52

Thanks Gilles,

I have opened a case through my reseller's support system - not being able to open a TAC case directly. I've sent the "sh tech details" output. At the moment I have until 0700 tomorrow morning to find a solution/collect diagnostics.

I'm planning to upgrade to 2.1.1a next week if possible.

I've checked the release notes for 2.1.1a and see there are a few situations where the ACE can go "unresponsive". Is losing IP connectivity classed as "unresponsive".

Thank you

Frederick Reimer Mon, 08/18/2008 - 04:11

Yes, use the session command on the 6500 the ACE blade is in to get to the system. If that fails, try a console connection. If the blade was in slot 1 you would do a:

session slot 1 proc 0

I would recommend trying to find out why the blade crashed, rather than just resetting it.

ciscocsoc Wed, 08/20/2008 - 05:17

I had to reload the blade to get it back in service (management "request").

The support engineer looking through the "sh tech det" found that the problem was a corrupted ARP entry for the Admin context default gateway.

"Context Admin

IP ADDRESS MAC-ADDRESS Interface Type Encap NextArp(s) Status

================================================================================ vlan290 GATEWAY - * 2 req dn 00.1b.d5.a1.e3.f5 vlan290 INTERFACE LOCAL _ up 00.1b.d5.a1.e3.f5 vlan294 INTERFACE LOCAL _ up

Total arp entries 3

The mac address entry against the gateway should reference the SVI mac from vlan290 on the chassis...".

We've no way of working out if this is a chassis problem or an ACE blade problem or even if it will be fixed by upgrading to 2.1.1a.

This Discussion