cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast problem

rejackson69
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 3845 attached to a foundry switch. Packets to a cluster address that uses mutlicast at layer 2 on the other side of the foundry are not getting through. The 3845 gets an arp entry for the multicast mac address. Other devices on the foundry do not have this problem. Is there something I should configure on the 3845 to ignore the arp responses?

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Richard,

Here is what RFC1812 section 3.3.2 says about using a link layer multicast address in a ARP reply:

"A router MUST not believe any ARP reply that claims that the Link Layer address of another host or router is a broadcast or multicast address."

The only work around I know is to configure a static arp entry on the router.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks, Sounds like a bug?

I got around it with a static route. I am not sure how it was getting the arp entry but it was not putting an interface in the arp entry.

Richard,

It could be a cosmetic bug. Can you please let me know what version of IOS is running on the router as well as post the "sh arp" output.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco