cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 MLPPP

ryan.walker
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to bond 4 T1's in a 2811? I heard that I need to go up to a 2821, as the 2811 does not have the horsepower to bundle 4T1's... first I have ever heard of this, and wanted to toss it out there to see if it is a valid statement.

*** I want to use this router to be my internet router, with a 4xT1 multilink. There will be no other services running on this router.

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can bundle 4 T1's on a 2811 (we do it).

2811#sh run | i interface | ppp

interface Multilink1

ppp multilink

ppp multilink fragment disable

ppp multilink group 1

interface Serial0/0/0:0

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

interface Serial0/0/1:0

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

interface Serial0/1/0:0

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

interface Serial0/1/1:0

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response... you don't run into any throughput issues at all do you?

Nope, a 2811 can easily handle 4 T1's.

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

I had a number of them running 4xt1 with mlppp and they went to 6m without issue. Many of these were then upgraded to a DS3 and are still doing fine but they have not exceeded 15m yet.

I even have a 2811 with 4xt1 mlpp and 4 more point to point t1 and a fractional ds3. This one the cpu gets to 70% everyday. One day maybe we can replace this with the correct routers

Does this run over the standard T-1 interface cards? (WIC-1DSU-T1-V2) We are looking into using a dedicated point-to-point using MLPPP for to a remote location for linking two SANs together. I am trying to figure out the hardware neede to suport this as I have never worked with MLPPP.

Brent

hi Bberry,

if you go with WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 --> u must buy 4 numbers ( would be expensive )

But advantage is if one of the WAN module going faulty only 1.5MB will be down.

or

you can even go with

VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 WAN Card --> only to numbers require

and still you will have to slots free in you router for furter expansion

hope this may help you ...

Regards

Srini

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card