cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Domain the same, but not communicating.

Hanzni_2
Level 1
Level 1

We have several switches on our lan and have two we recently put in. Our main switch is the VTP server with the domain Mesa. The two we recently put in have Mesa as well are are set as clients, but they are not pulling the vlans from the vtp server. They have the same domain name and there is no password. The MD5 Digest is the same on the two new switches, but it differs from the main switch. When they were first installed they had the vtp domain as mesa, which wasn't correct. We went back in changed it and it still isn't working. Any idea on how to fix this? These are all 3550 series switches.

12 Replies 12

garytayl
Level 3
Level 3

What is the configuration revision of the working VTP servers. Have you tried to change anything on the working ones like creating a new vlan and such.

Are there any values under show vtp counters on a working and one non VTP working 3550?

Hello Nick,

In switches, which doesnt get the VTP updates, change VTP domain name to something else (For example asd), apply the config, then change back to Mesa

Regards

I gave that a try and didn't work. This is a remote site I'm trying to help out. There is also an odd setup to this. When I look at sw1 (which is the vtp server) via sh cdp ne, it shows sw2 and sw3 plugged into g0/2. I don't know how that is, but could that be causing the problem?

Make sure there are trunks configured between the switches since it is a requirement for VTP to work.

Yes and no. One shows some stuff and the other shows nearly nothing.

switch 2 shows:

VTP statistics:

Summary advertisements received : 22

Subset advertisements received : 0

Request advertisements received : 0

Summary advertisements transmitted : 64227

Subset advertisements transmitted : 7

Request advertisements transmitted : 0

Number of config revision errors : 0

Number of config digest errors : 0

Number of V1 summary errors : 0

Switch 3:

VTP statistics:

Summary advertisements received : 1

Subset advertisements received : 0

Request advertisements received : 0

Summary advertisements transmitted : 0

Subset advertisements transmitted : 0

Request advertisements transmitted : 0

Number of config revision errors : 0

Number of config digest errors : 0

Number of V1 summary errors : 0

Ok, what about the configuration revision under "show vtp status". Also, you said there is no password therefore using "show vtp password" will confirm that no password is being used.

Hello Nick,

In switches, which doesnt get the VTP updates, change VTP domain name to something else (For example asd), apply the config, then change back to Mesa

Regards

VTP passes over trunk links. Are your switches trunked?

Link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080890613.shtml#topic11

sh int trunk to verify.

Mcc

Gary and Matt,

I think you're both onto something with trunking. All the interfaces are setup as trunks and encapsulation is dot1q, but if I do a sh int trunk the int they are connected doesn't show.

Ok, you have identified the problem here. Let's get those trunks to work and we will fix the VTP problem.

Correct. There isnt a vtp password set on any of the switches.

Sw1 shows:

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 9

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005

Number of existing VLANs : 11

VTP Operating Mode : Server

VTP Domain Name : Mesa

VTP Pruning Mode : Enabled

VTP V2 Mode : Enabled

VTP Traps Generation : Disabled

Sw2 & 3 show:

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 0

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005

Number of existing VLANs : 10

VTP Operating Mode : Client

VTP Domain Name : Mesa

VTP Pruning Mode : Enabled

VTP V2 Mode : Enabled

VTP Traps Generation : Disabled

This has got me stumped.

Hanzni_2
Level 1
Level 1

Problem solved. They were using a 1000BaseCX Gigastack card on the interface and didn't have the stack looped. Here is a link to the device.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps872/products_data_sheet09186a00800a1789.html

Thank you all for your help and fast responces to this!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card