Views
Helpful
Replies

Question regarding MIB

Manoj Wadhwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I am going through a document on Cisco WAAS (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v407/configuration/guide/SNMP.html#wp1106982)

I would like to know what all things can be monitored by using WAAS MIB. I fail to understand the below MIB terms.

ACTONA-ACTASTOR-MIB

CISCO-CDP-MIB

CISCO-CONFIG-MAN-MIB

CISCO-CONTENT-ENGINE-MIB

CISCO-ENTITY-ASSET-MIB

ENTITY-MIB

EVENT-MIB

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB

MIB-II

Can anyone please explain what all does these MIB indicate. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Manoj

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Manoj,

MIB files are actually source text files written on programming language.

Often, when looking for a MIB the first issue to deal with is dependency:

a MIB can be installed/compiled successfully if in your system are already installed/compiled some other MIBs.

So you can imagine every name in the list as a definition file you need to have to be able to install the MIB you want.

use the SNMP MIB navigator

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en

then the link download and see MIBS

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

Thanks for your reply. Precisely speaking, the document says all the MIBS that are supported by WAAS. I would like to decode on what exact information I can get from each MIB (for eg. interface down trap, Threshold alert, Memory, CPU utilizations etc).

Thanks again.

Regards,

Manoj

Hello Manoj,

by using the tool you can access the MIB code that is very well commented at the beginning they describe all the variables and then there all the details.

Another thing you can do is to use snmpwalk on a WAAS in a lab from a unix workstation and redirect output to a file it is a dump of all supported MIB vars with their current values.

Then again by using as help the MIB code you can analyze the file.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

I am still struggling to get exactly what all details can be monitored via SNMP for WAAS. Based on the MIBS that i mentioned earlier in my query, can you help me decode what all things I can monitor (like cpu, memory, threshold etc). I know its asking for too much but i would really really appreciate if you can guide me through it as the request is kind of urgent for me in preparing a document. Thanks again.

Regards,

Manoj

Hello Manoj,

just some directions in your work

use snmp navigator View & Dnload mibs select one filename and then view mib contents

ACTONA-ACTASTOR-MIB = use snmp navigator View & Dnload mibs select it and then view mib contents

! I think this is product specific here should be the most interesting params

! that can tell how it is working to be reviewed

CISCO-CDP-MIB = skip just CDP neighbors

CISCO-CONFIG-MAN-MIB = provide info on config skip if you're interested in performance you can also change config with this

CISCO-CONTENT-ENGINE-MIB= web cache info interesting to be reviewed

CISCO-ENTITY-ASSET-MIB = just provides asset inventory data skip it

ENTITY-MIB = RFC2737

EVENT-MIB = www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1t/12_1t3/feature/guide/dtevent.html

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB = RFC2790 this should be useful

MIB-II = base framework nothing specific here

Prepare a preliminary version of your document and then you will fill the details later.

Declare what you want to monitor and focus on these parameters

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card