cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility groups, failover across different subnets

js88888888
Level 1
Level 1

I've been reading up on 5.1 and am wondering how and if actual failover across subnets is an option.

I understand the roaming of clients from controllers in the same MG on diff subnets.

How does it work if your primary "anchor" isn't alive to replicate the DB entry to the off-subnet controller? Say if my local WIsm's die and the backup is in the next state, how will the AP's maintain connectivity?

thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, but tha ap's will take the new configuration from that WLC. Also... users will get tunneled back to that wlc and be dumped off in that subnet. So make sure you understand the ssid and what ip's clients will get when they associate to different wlc's. That should do it.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the primary wlc dies, the ap's will have to move to the secondary or tertiary wlc. This will cause a loss of network connectivity so the users will have to reassociate and obtain a new ip.

-Scott

thanks fella. So that means that my AP's configured w/ static IPs will work fine once they find the backup controller on the diff subnet?

Yes, but tha ap's will take the new configuration from that WLC. Also... users will get tunneled back to that wlc and be dumped off in that subnet. So make sure you understand the ssid and what ip's clients will get when they associate to different wlc's. That should do it.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: