cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Devices Names versus Ip Addresses In LMS/DFM

GERARD PUOPLO
Level 1
Level 1

The LMS DCR I am working with shows devices with device names but the DMF inventory imported from DCR shows everything as IP addresses. I used SMARTS sm_walk and confirmed the nodes actually have valid sysName assigned.

I believe what is happened here is the LMS DCR inventory was created without network devices being in DNS and hence someone manually assigned names to all the devices in DCR. But when importing from DCR I guess the original device name from DCR is assigned no matter what sysname is or the current DCR display name is.

Now how to fix and get DFM to import devices from DCR with device names ?

If we enable update device names in CS inventory would this fix the problem ?

Would enterring all the management addresses in DNS fix the problem ?

//

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct, DFM does not use sysName as its device selector display name. By default, DFM tries to obtain the device's display name by looking it up from the given device name information.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, DFM is the one application in LMS that does not respect Display Names. So what you see in DFM will not necessarily be the same as what is seen in other apps.

Second, DFM's resolution is very picky. The best thing to do is run:

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\resolver.pl

With the device's management IP address as an argument. Make sure this IP address resolves to the desired hostname. If it does, you can delete the device from DFM, then re-add it, and it should show up properly.

Yes, adding all of the management IPs in DNS or the server's local hosts file should fix this.

Thanks for the fix but I am still confused.

I thought DFM is suppose to set Displayname to sysName necessary if sysname was available. Are you saying DFM never uses sysname to set display name ?

Correct, DFM does not use sysName as its device selector display name. By default, DFM tries to obtain the device's display name by looking it up from the given device name information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco