cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 2610 doesnot boot after write erase.

vikrant
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a C2610 router.I issued "erase startup-config" and reloaded the router and after this i am not able to make the router boot. it is going to ROMmon prompt.

I also checked the article in : ROMmon Recovery for the Cisco 2600 Series

Router and the VG200 , Document ID: 15079

but it also didnot help much.

while i give dir flash:

I get the follwoing:

device does not contain a valid magic number

dir: cannot open device "flash:"

How can I resove this issue?

Regards and Thanks

Vik

5 Replies 5

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Try "boot" commmand from ROMMON.

Final option is to download the IOS using xmodem method.

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Vikrant ,

You might have typed erase flash: instead of erase start.

Because of thet you are not able to see any image once you issue the command show boot.

can you try xmodem procedure to load the IOS.For this you need to have IOS image on your desktop or laptop which is downloaded from Cisco or you can load same image if you have it with you.

follow the below procedure and let me know if you get struck while loading the image.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml#download_2620

Thanks,

Satish

Hi Satish,

Thanks for your reply. In fact one of my guys wanted to get some hands on with the router and may be he has issued the erase flash CLI instead, by mistake.

Now this router is very old and I don't have any smartnet subscription with cisco. Is there any way I can get this image downloaded.

Regards

Vik

you can get the image software from a similar router. do you have a similar one ?

but this may be not legal :-(

STEVE DUE
Level 1
Level 1

"device does not contain a valid magic number"

this means the cisco device doesnt recognize the flash device, if you format it while it is in the cisco router then put your image on it you will be fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card