cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ipurlfiltering & VPN tunnels

shostackr
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have over 20 sites running site to site vpn with corporate.

We currently use smartfilter to filter web access. Smartfilter is located on a corporate server. Currently all internet traffic has to pass the tunnel for filtering and then it gets internet from corporate and pumps it down the tunnel. As everyone knows with site to site tunnels that takes up much needed bandwidth, bandwidth which could better be used for business purposes.

I hope to set up url filtering at the remote site router, so that only filter traffic passes the tunnel and the remote site router would allow access via the filter response off remote site router, so that I can pull all internet traffic off my tunnel. I am told this is possible by smarftilter who sent me the following.

"Requests from a client to webserver on port 80 would go to the router (1811@ remote sites) The request would sit at the router, while the router makes an IFP request to the Smartfilter on port 4005 over the VPN. When the IFP response returns from the smartfilter server to the router, the router then can either allow or block the request, depending on wha tthe IFP response was."

Anyone actually done this? How? It seems like a great config in that it cuts down on uneeded tunnel traffic (as that the remote site router has internet access), yet keeps remote site PC's off websites that may cause issues at the remote sites.

1 Reply 1

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes this seems to be a much better design then the one were using before.

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: