cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limit interface bandwidth on 4500 Switch

mikedelafield
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best way to limit the bandwidth for a particular interface using a Cisco 4510 switch. IOS 12.2(40).

I know there is a Bandwidth command but it seems to be largely symbolic!!

Is it possible to do this even? QOS possibly? But i must admit QOS is not a strong area of mine.

Please advise.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Using "bandwidth" command would be good option.But you need to understand, that bandwidth command can affect routing, if you are using EIGRP etc. As bandwidth is important component used to calculate the metric of EIGRP.

Other option is MQC , it is flexible way to achieve the QoS.

ALso let us know, what you want to achieve by limiting the Bandwidth on this interface??

Is this LAN/WAN interface ??

Hi thanks for the reply.

It is the interface that connects to our proxy server. I was to limit proxy internet access to 15Mb of our 30Mb link so that it does not affect any VPN services.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Policing should be able to address your requirement, please refer to the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sga/configuration/guide/qos.html#wp1213649

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card