Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch 4507R hardware architecture

hugo.picado
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am concern about how a switch 4507R connects each card to its backplane. I have two, and I want to be sure I am using the backplane speed correctly. I mean, if I connect all my servers to just one card, will I have performance issues? I read a slot has 6Gigs, does this mean I should distribuite my server across all the cards?

Thank a lot for any link to find the information I need, or any comment to clarify this.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

You are correct each slot has six 1G FDX (12G)connections to the Supervisor switch fabric. It depends on the line card being used. If using a 24 port 4524-GB then you have a 4:1 over subscription. with a 48 port linecard 8:1 over - subscription. Should all ports be bursting at same time, guaranteed rate of 125Mbps for 8:1 and 250Mbps for 4:1. Keep in mind also, depending on supervisor throughput ranges from 48Mpps (Sup II+) (packets per second) to 102Mpps (SupV-10GE)

I would try and measure the amount of traffic to/from the servers to determine if over -subscription is an issue.

Most application servers (exceptions may include ftp, backups) rarely sustain gigabit rates over a extended periods.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

You are correct each slot has six 1G FDX (12G)connections to the Supervisor switch fabric. It depends on the line card being used. If using a 24 port 4524-GB then you have a 4:1 over subscription. with a 48 port linecard 8:1 over - subscription. Should all ports be bursting at same time, guaranteed rate of 125Mbps for 8:1 and 250Mbps for 4:1. Keep in mind also, depending on supervisor throughput ranges from 48Mpps (Sup II+) (packets per second) to 102Mpps (SupV-10GE)

I would try and measure the amount of traffic to/from the servers to determine if over -subscription is an issue.

Most application servers (exceptions may include ftp, backups) rarely sustain gigabit rates over a extended periods.

Thank you very much.

So I will take care of my backup server and the server it is backing up now, and the servers that make heavy data replication.

Do you have any link where I can read more architecture related information? Things like queueing and other are interesting to me.

I have a SupIV

Thank you again.

attached

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card