Questions about exam timeframes I cannot find the answer to.

Unanswered Question
Aug 19th, 2008

Hello all. I seriously am considering a change in careers. I went after a CS degree because I was fascinated about networking, and after having strayed pretty far from that after college I want to try to get back on that track.

So, well, two specific questions about the exam, and then a more general one.

1. How long do you have between passing the ICND1 and passing the ICND2? Do these have to be taken in order?

2. Does the 2 year expiration timer start from the time you pass the first half of the exam, or from the time you pass both?

4. Are there any fairly "neutral" sites out there about the exam study materials out there, and specifically some gear recommendations so I'm not working with a ridiculously out of date version of IOS? 'CCNA' on google seems to be completely taken over by commercial interests.

3. How would you go about breaking into the field? I at least have a CS degree to work with and specilized in security, but much more the theoretical side focusing on cryptography and such. I at least remember the basics, passing the Network+ with about 6 hours of studying, but from what I've seen around the net that's a worthless cert but a least shows you know enough to begin studying for the CCNA.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rob.huffman Wed, 08/20/2008 - 16:03

Hi Charles,

With your excellent background you should be in good shape here:)

#1 & #2 - You have 3 years from the date you passed the first CCNA exam to complete the CCNA Track. These exams do not have to be taken in order.

#4 - From the author of the CiscoPress CCNA Study Guides Wendell Odom (all sorts of invaluable info on building a CCNA lab);

Hope this helps! And best of luck with your new role,

PS: I would look into CBT Nuggets for some excellent video info for the CCNA Track.

milutino2 Thu, 08/21/2008 - 11:40

Thanks for the reply.

One (hopefully last) question, there appear to be two "master texts" published by Cisco regarding the CCNA, the CCNA Preparation Guide by McQuerry, and the CCNA Official Certification Library by Odom. The descriptions on Ciscopress's site do not differentiate them very well. What exactly is the difference?

This Discussion