Views
Helpful
Replies

enabling BPDU Guard on access ports connected to IP Phones

andypearce33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was looking for some advice to see if it is recommended to configure BPDU Guard on ports connected to IP phones to prevent routing loops?

4 Replies 4

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

why u expect routing loop from a port connected to a phone?

anyway u can do it

good luck

My main concern regarding rooting loops is that we have a PC connected to the data port on the phone. I am concerned that if this is invertible connected to another switch (say accidently patched incorrectly) would this cause a loop?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Andy,

I just thought that I would add this link to the good info from my friend Marwan. It's a pretty good read :) (well not not Mark Twain ....but)

Root guard or BPDU guard

Enable root guard or BPDU guard on all access ports to prevent the introduction of a rogue switch

that might attempt to become the Spanning Tree root, thereby causing STP re-convergence events

and potentially interrupting network traffic flows. Ports that are set to errdisable state by BPDU

guard must either be re-enabled manually or the switch must be configured to re-enable ports

automatically from the errdisable state after a configured period of time.

From this CCM SRND doc;

Cisco Unified Communications SRND Based on Cisco Unified CallManager 4.x

Network Infrastructure

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a00806e8c42.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

thank you Rob for this nice comment, i really appreciate it :)