Views
Helpful
Replies

RME uses wrong IP addresses for telnet - LMS 2.5

netzeatkw
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

RME 4.0 used wrong IP addresses for telnet connections. I changed the addresses in common services and tested the correct funtion in RME - Device Management - check device credentials.

The telnet connection was working well.

The next morning, the configuration save had failed with error:

TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to 172.23.x.x - Cause: TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to 172.23.x.x

and the IP address had changed to the wrong value.

Even deleting of the device and adding in common services did not help.

Where does RME get the wrong IP addresses which it should not use for telnet connections and how can I prevent it from doing so?

Thank you in advance for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I occurred to me that by router ID, you most likely mean loopback addresses. This, then, is almost certainly Campus Manager Discovery which is changing your IP address. You should try excluding these devices from Discovery under Campus Manager > Admin > Device Discovery.

View solution in original post

28 Replies 28

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RME gets device address information from DCR. If you do not have the IP address configured in DCR, but rather just the hostname, then there is a bug where LMS daemons cache the successful lookup of that hostname indefinitely. This would require you to either enter the IP in DCR, or restart dmgtd every time you change the DNS record for a device. The bug is CSCse85033, and this was fixed in LMS 3.0

I changed the fields 'host name' and 'IP-address' under common services ... device properties to the correct IP address but it did not help. Where do I have to change it? Is it necessary to restart dmgtd when I change these fields?

That is the location where you would need to change the IP address and hostname. When you changed those values, did you schedule a new job, or did you allow an existing job to run again?

After changing the values I did a dmgtd stop / start.

I did not schedule a new job but the existing archive update job ran afterwards and showed failed devices due to the wrong IP addresses.

Try creating a new job. The old job may have the IP address information cached.

I only know how to schedule the globel Config Collection under RME -> Admin -> Config Mgmt -> Archive Mgmt -> Collection Settings. How can I Create a Test Config Collection for the changed devices?

Go to RME > Config Mgmt > Archive Mgmt > Sync Archive. Select the problem device, and run the job.

That job was this time successful. What do I have to do that the daily RME Archive Mgmt Collection uses the correct values of hostname and IP address?

Disable the system polling and collection jobs, and apply those changes. Once the jobs are disabled, return to the Collection Settings interface, and re-enable them. You should get new job IDs, and the problem should go away.

I got new job IDs but the problem still remains the same. The scheduled archive poller and update jobs fail and the device properties are changed to the wrong IP addresses after running the job.

Do you mean the "wrong IP addresses" are populated into the device properties in DCR, after running the jobs? Is it one single "wrong" IP address, or multiple "wrong IP addresses"?

I think I know what's happening here, but I'd like to see a screenshot of everywhere you see this wrong IP address.

There are multiple "wrong IP addresses" that are populated into the device properties in DCR, after running the jobs. Here are screenshots of the failing RME archive job and the changed CS device Properties.

I don't see the problem. The IP address in DCR is the same that is showing up in RME. If the .123 address is wrong, change it in DCR.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: