VoIP Phone licenses

Unanswered Question
Aug 20th, 2008

Hello there,

I'm pretty new to VoIP so please bare with me.. Reading about VoIP phones I've found that you have to buy some kind of license no matter which phone you are using : " All Cisco Unified IP phones require the purchase of a phone user license, regardless of call protocol being used. " Please can someone give me a link or enlighten me a little about them.

Questions :

1. what are these licenses, why should I buy them, how much do they cost ?

2. Is this the only license I'll have to buy to use the ip phone ? Or I'll need some kind of software license too?

Thank you

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jaime Valencia Wed, 08/20/2008 - 06:31

DLUs = Device License Unit

depending on the phone model how many they use, you need to contact pre-sales or licensing for them

if you don't have the DLUs you cannot add phones

the SKU from each phone entitles you to the necessary DLUs for that phone but DLUs can be purchased separately

you also need a node license to activate the CCM service if 5.x and an extra feature license if running 6.x

you can look "licensing" on cco and will get more info



if this helps, please rate


This Discussion