Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP prefix list .... need help

Marcofbbr
Level 1
Level 1

In BGP Student Guide version3.2 slide 3-54 you can find this example:

"Requirement: The ISP router will not accept routes with subnet masks longer than /24; subnet masks from class B address space will be no longer than /20."

This is accomplished with the following configuration:

neighbor CUSTOMER prefix-list peer in

!

ip prefix-list Peer seq 5 permit 128.0.0.0/2 le 20

ip prefix-list Peer seq 10 permit 0.0.0.0/0 le 24

What is the scope of the first prefix-list entry? Even if a class B route with a mask /22 is received it would be permitted by the second entry (seq #20)

The explanation provided by the slide is: "If the route is a class B network both lines match. Testing continues with checking the subnet mask. An upper bound is explicitly indicated , giving a maximum prefix lenght of 20 bits." ==>> I think this is really confusing....

Could someone explain that?

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marco,

You are correct.

The 2nd entry "ip prefix-list Peer seq 10 permit 0.0.0.0/0 le 24" allows any address class to be longer than /20.

You need to place a deny right after the sequence 5 to explicitly block any prefix longer than /20 for a Class B address space.

ip prefix-list Peer seq 6 deny 128.0.0.0/2 ge 21

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Thanks Edison

So it seems there is a mistake in the Student guide. Should I inform Cisco about that? I don't know if there are newer releases of that Course.

You should inform the author of the guide, not Cisco itself :)

The guide should contain the contact information and perhaps has a website were erratas can be posted.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card