Helpful
Replies

ios for 6509 suggestions?

DARYLE DIANIS
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently running this on my 6509's:

s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF.bin

I'm going to run layer 3 all the way to the access switches, can anyone suggest a stable version I might want to upgrade to? Or is this one adequate? Eventually, I'll be running voip with poe.

thanks,

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

SXF11 has passed safe harbor testing by Cisco. If you aren't having issues or have security issues with the current release there really isn't a reason to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading.

hi guys, thanks for the info, but what is safe harbor? I was thinking of upgrading because I'm concerned that going to L3 will enable something that I'm currently not using that might actually be broken in my existing release. I'm paranoid. this actually happened to me a couple months ago. I turned on a feature, it was broken and I was forced to upgrade.

but what is safe harbor?

Please click on the link I provided, it contains all the information.

I turned on a feature, it was broken and I was forced to upgrade.

Then I recommend you check the Release Notes for the version you are using. It has a list of critical bugs and bugs that were corrected in newer releases.

As far as I know, enabling Layer3 in a switch won't break anything. Can you be more specific on what broke before?

__

Edison.

thanks again, I read the link, that definitely is more reassuring. I was not really aware of safe harbor and was looking at the gd, ed, type ratings. What happened to me earlier, I enabled etherchannel across dual sup720s and then started receiving messages about DEC, distributed etherchannel, I don't remember the exact details. Its fixed now, but that is making me think more about doing upgrades.

You're good to go. I have 11 running on 18x 6509's and 1x 6513 running L3, VoIP, and PoE with no issues.

wow, thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco