cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Home Lab 2950 Problem

carminepro
Level 1
Level 1

Just acquired a used 2950 Catalyst for my Home Lab to help with my CCNA. Using HyperTerminal or TeraTerm, both access my Routers and other switch OK. But one 2950 will not output via the console port. I am able to do a reboot via the mode button, and reload looks ok by the performance of the led's, but there is absolutly no output to the screen. Is there anything else I can do short of tossing the switch out? Thanks, Carmine

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No problems, glad you got it sorted. Seems a bit extreme by the maintainer but each to their own I suppose?

If you found the post useful please use the rating system.

Cheers

Andy

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Is it possible someone has set the baud rate via ROMMON? Possibly doing a password/software recovery. It might be worth booting it up to what you think is a working state, then increment the terminal speed and press return each time, - 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600 & 115200, in the hope that it is set to one of the speeds.

Other than that put a sniffer on a port and see if the switch is sending CDP, if it is set you PC IP address in the same subnet and try to telnet to it (in the hope that the access VLAN on the port you are attached is the same as the management VLAN.

Other than that I seem to remember the console port is not soldered directly on the motherboard and is attached via a short ribbon cable. It's possible it has come loose? Open up the switch and have a look?

HTH

Andy

It was the Ribbon Cable! My first clue was that the screws were very loose. I suspect that whoever previously maintained this switch had physically disabled the Console Port so the switch could only be controlled via Telnet or SSH. Thanks alot Andy, you resolved a weeks worth of frustration!

No problems, glad you got it sorted. Seems a bit extreme by the maintainer but each to their own I suppose?

If you found the post useful please use the rating system.

Cheers

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: