Back in the BGP fray - why these errors?

Unanswered Question
Aug 20th, 2008

Sethtek-G and Sethtek-H are set up as BGP neighbors in AS 190. PPP serial link between the two, with G's serial IP 172.16.0.1; H's .2.

Each has three loopback interfaces configured (and declared in the BGP config). G has 207.207.1.0; 207.207.2.0; 207.207.3.0. H has the same but with 208's in 207's places.

I declared the first two in each's BGP process (saving the third for later debugging experiments).

So each of the declared loopback networks shows up just fine in each other's BGP tables, but not in their IP routing tables. Did I read wrong when I read that the optimal BGP path gets installed in the IP routing table? Not talking about redistributing into other routing protocols, just appearing as BGP routes in the IP table. Why's that not happening.

Also, why is Sethtek-H's bgp updates debugging output saying

Sethtek-H#

02:43:42: BGP(0): no valid path for 207.207.1.0/24

every 20 seconds? G's is doing the same, for the 208.208. network. If it thinks there's no valid path why is it allowing it in the BGP table?

Thanks for ur help every1.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Richard Burts Thu, 08/21/2008 - 11:38

Seth

It might help if you would post the output of show ip bgp for one of these routes that is not appearing in the routing table.

The error message no valid path for 207.207.1.0/24 means that there is something wrong with the advertised path. Frequently it means that the next hop address that is advertised is not reachable. So what address is being advertised as the next hop and is it reachable from this router?

Are you configuring update-source in the BGP of these routers, and if so what address is used as the source?

HTH

Rick

Actions

This Discussion