EIGRP Question

Answered Question

So, I am going through my BSCI book and I have a question about EIGRP..

Dual acts basically on bandwidth and delay, and from what I can find on the internet, bandwidth and delay are passed in the update packets.. My question is, where is the bandwidth and delay for each route stored? Nothing I can find says that bandwidth and delay are stored in the topology table. Everything shows that the Feasible Distance and Advertised Distances are store there, but that seems to be about it.

So, where does a neighbor store these values so that they can be reannounced to the next neighbor?

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Richard Burts about 8 years 5 months ago

Jeremy

I believe that the values for bandwidth and delay are stored in the topology table. If you do a show ip eigrp topology for some subnet in your table it will include in the display output the particular bandwidth and delay vavlues for this prefix.

HTH

Rick

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Richard Burts Thu, 08/21/2008 - 11:51

Jeremy

I believe that the values for bandwidth and delay are stored in the topology table. If you do a show ip eigrp topology for some subnet in your table it will include in the display output the particular bandwidth and delay vavlues for this prefix.

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the help, I ran the command and I see that the topology table DOES contain those values.

Now that I know this, I've looked through the book and can find no information that indicated that the topology table contains the delay, bandwidth, mtu, reliability, and load variables.

Actually, in the BSCI book, on pages 73-74 it lists out everything that is contained in the topology table, and those variables are not even mentioned.

Anyways, thanks again..

=====================

R0#show ip eigrp topology 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0

IP-EIGRP (AS 1): Topology entry for 10.1.1.0/24

State is Passive, Query origin flag is 1, 2 Successor(s), FD is 2684416

Routing Descriptor Blocks:

192.168.1.2 (Serial1/0), from 192.168.1.2, Send flag is 0x0

Composite metric is (2684416/2172416), Route is Internal

Vector metric:

Minimum bandwidth is 1544 Kbit

Total delay is 40100 microseconds

Reliability is 255/255

Load is 1/255

Minimum MTU is 1500

Hop count is 2

192.168.2.2 (Serial1/1), from 192.168.2.2, Send flag is 0x0

Composite metric is (2684416/2172416), Route is Internal

Vector metric:

Minimum bandwidth is 1544 Kbit

Total delay is 40100 microseconds

Reliability is 255/255

Load is 1/255

Minimum MTU is 1500

Hop count is 2

R0#

Richard Burts Fri, 08/22/2008 - 04:00

Jeremy

You are quite welcome. I am glad that my response did help to resolve your question. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that there was a response which did resolve the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

Istvan_Rabai Tue, 09/30/2008 - 08:37

Hi Nguyen,

If your goal is to pass BSCI, it will be a hard thing to do.

If your goal is to have a BSCI level routing knowledge and be able to apply this knowledge to improve real situations, then you will achieve that level of knowledge much easier.

Any learning should have the final goal of application and producing results. Studying just for certification would be an empty thing.

And if you can apply what you have learned and you can improve those situations around you, then you will have good job opportunities as well.

Cheers:

Istvan

Actions

This Discussion