Views
Helpful
Replies

Outbound WAN Load balancing Does not work on ASA 5510

sberkovitz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There

I have a Cisco ASA 5510 with two WAN connections. WAN Interface #1 is configured statically with a static route, and this interface also handles all inbound traffic. WAN Interface #2 is a Cable Internet service, which I want to route all Outbound traffic through (since i dont get charged for bandwidth on this line) but I also want certain traffic, such as SMTP and RDP traffic to always go through Wan Interface #1.

I used to be able to do this easily on my SonicWALL PRO 2040. I was hoping the CISCO ASA 5510 would be able to do this as well but it seems that all I can accomplish is an Active/Passive style WAN Failover, whereby if the first WAN Interface stops responding to Pings (Based on setting up a Track) then the 2nd WAN Interface will start forwarding outbound traffic.

Is there a way to make both WAN Interfaces handle traffic? This is ONLY for Outbound traffic and not Inbound traffic.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

with cisco u can achieve what you want easly with a feature called PBR however this feature not availabe with cisco ASA

what can suggest you is have a look at the following link it might be helpful for you as it is address an issue similer to urs but not the same

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

note: with ASA active/active methodology you can achieve loadshareing but not load balancing regarding that with active/active u will not be able to use VPN because the Firewall will be operating in miltuple context mode !!

good luck

please, if helpful Rate

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As a temporary or band-aid type of solution you could put specific routes pointing out towards WAN interace # 1 for the RDP destinations. That is if you know before hand which sites you will be remotely connecting to. Otherwise this won't be possible with the ASA.

Regards

Farrukh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card