Views
Helpful
Replies

Revision number

thaar.altaiey
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

How can i change the revision number for catalyst 4500 switch. can you tell me the commands that i needed.

best regards

thaar

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thaar

Assuming you mean the VTP revision number it depends on what you want to achieve.

1) If you want to set the revision number back to 0 and the switch is in vtp server mode then change the vtp mode on your switch to vtp transparent and then back to vtp server.

2) If the switch is in VTP client mode and you want to update it you need to either

a) change the mode to vtp server and then make an update to the vlan database

b) more likely you need to update the switch acting as a vtp server and this will then automatically update your VTP client switch.

To update the revision number on a VTP server switch you need to make a modification to the vlan database ie. create a new vlan, modify the details of an existing vlan or delete a vlan.

Jon

View solution in original post

Hi Thaar,

If your both switches are belongs to one VTP domain, then you just have to configure your 4500 switch as VTP Server and domain name and connect to the network. Switch automatically loads Vlan & VTP parameters from 2950 switch (revision no also sets to 23).

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thaar

Assuming you mean the VTP revision number it depends on what you want to achieve.

1) If you want to set the revision number back to 0 and the switch is in vtp server mode then change the vtp mode on your switch to vtp transparent and then back to vtp server.

2) If the switch is in VTP client mode and you want to update it you need to either

a) change the mode to vtp server and then make an update to the vlan database

b) more likely you need to update the switch acting as a vtp server and this will then automatically update your VTP client switch.

To update the revision number on a VTP server switch you need to make a modification to the vlan database ie. create a new vlan, modify the details of an existing vlan or delete a vlan.

Jon

Dear all,

Yes, i mean the VTP revision number, i will check what you write soon.

best regards and thanks for your help

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Thaar,

if yo mean the revision number in the sh ver it cannot be changed:

cisco WS-C4506 (MPC8540) processor (revision 4) with 524288K bytes of memory.

but if you want to clear the revision number in VTP just put the switch in another VTP domain in vtp mode transparent then back as vtp client in the correct VTP domain name.

SW-RM-SXR000-F-C4-2#sh vtp status

VTP Version : running VTP1 (VTP2 capable)

Configuration Revision : 90

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Dear all,

In real, i have 2 VTP server switchs. One is 4500 and the other is 2950 in my large network. After a problem occured in the network, the 4500 is reset its configuration and its revision number is set to 0, whereas the 2950 switch revision number is still 23 which is the correct one. how can change the revision number of 4500 switch to 23.

best regards and thanks for any help.

thaar

Hi Thaar,

If your both switches are belongs to one VTP domain, then you just have to configure your 4500 switch as VTP Server and domain name and connect to the network. Switch automatically loads Vlan & VTP parameters from 2950 switch (revision no also sets to 23).

Hope this helps

Hello Thaar,

c4500's sh ver what configuration register value shows ?

if it is 0x2142

it is a value that makes the switch to ignore the configuration file like in a password recovery procedure.

If it so you just need to do:

get privileged access (enable)

copy startup-config running-config

and you need to change the value of the config register so it will read the config at next reload.

config t

config-register 0x2102

end

wr mem

if config-register <> 0x2412 you need to rebuild your config including VTP parameters.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card