Views
Helpful
Replies

move sup720 to different chassis

770801tvdhaar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a pair of redundent sup720's that I'm breaking up and moving the standby SUP to a 6504-E from a 6509-E.

Is there anything I have to think about apart from backing up the software?

How do I get the SUP720 to come up on the 6504-E chassis?

10 Replies 10

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

1.6504-E chassis should be power off.

2.Insert SUP 720 in 6504-E in slot1

3.Connect the laptop/desptop , hyperterminal to SUP 720 console.

4.Start capturing on.

5.Power on the 6504-E

6.Check for any errors/logs.

HTH..

Hi,

The Sup should work without any changes.

But i think you have configured the line cards of the C6509. As the 6504 propably has fewer line cards and interfaces, you will get error messages like "Interface Gig5/1 not found" or something similar when booting up the 6504 after the exchange, but most of these messages are just informational.

Regards,

Sebastian

I moved the SUP over to the new chassis it came up no problem and then plugged I plugged a WiSM and a 48Tx TP card in.

WiSM slot 3 and 48 Tx slot 4. No power was present to these cards. I then issued an "erase start" while connected to the SUP and reloaded with no luck same problem no power to these cards. Although a show mod could see what cards were plugged in but it also showed "UNKNOWN".

I then pulled the power to the box and now the I loop to rommon1 mode all the time when I issue a rommon1>boot it then boots up onto the IOS but no cards are present and everytime I reset the SUP I end up in rommon1

please help!

Tyrone

Tyrone,

It sounds like during the "erase start" you also deleted the IOS from the Supervisor.

You need to use the xmodem upload procedure to restore the IOS onto the Supervisor.

As for the modules not powering up and showing unknown, did these modules worked previously in the other chassis while using the same IOS code? Perhaps these modules aren't compatible with the IOS you were running prior the "erase start".

___

Edison.

I don't think you erased the IOS, because you can boot manually from rommon. You should take a look at the boot variables in rommon (issue "set"), maybe there is a fix entry for the IOS with the wrong path.

Concerning the modules showing unknown, i would agree with Edison. Check if the IOS Version is supporting the modules you wish to plug in.

Regards,

Sebastian

Use

"remote command switch show version"

See what is the conf-reg !!!

If it is not 0x2102, then goto ROMMON and use

"confreg 0x2102"

"reset"

It should then boot properly without going into ROMMON , everytime.

HTH..

Rate if Helpful.

Sebastian,

Good catch, I missed the part where he said that he is able to boot from rommom with the boot command. Thanks

The missing IOS assumption was incorrect in my post.

Thanks for all your replies, it turned out to be a fault on the chassis and we have requested a new one.

Once again thanks alot!

Tyrone

Hi,

I have now received a new chassis and I'm still getting the same problem, I now have to suspect the sup720.

I can't even do a "remote command switch sho boot"

Do you have any other diagnotics ideas?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: