Views
Helpful
Replies

Event Type Groups / Rule behavior

lewko98
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am having trouble understanding the different Event Type Groups used in the different Mars Rules. For example When Looking throught incidents generated I found

port Scans

ping sweeps

server scans for specific ports

and others

that are all being fired under the rule

System Rule: Network Activity: P2P File Sharing - Active

or under the rule

System Rule: Network Activity: Excessive Denies - Host Compromise Likely.

When looking closer at these rules I have noticed the contain some (what I thought were) very generic event type groups.

Is there a resource that you guys know of that describes or goes into details about the event type groups? I have tried most of the Cisco recommended mars books, and havent found much detail.

-Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is only limited description about these at the end of the MARS user guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/5.3/user/guide/local_controller/appmars.html

These are the most annoying 'RULES' in MARS and you usually have to tune them using either at the reporting device or on MARS itself. The device-side tuning is more preferred but is not always possible.

Regards

Farrukh

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is only limited description about these at the end of the MARS user guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/5.3/user/guide/local_controller/appmars.html

These are the most annoying 'RULES' in MARS and you usually have to tune them using either at the reporting device or on MARS itself. The device-side tuning is more preferred but is not always possible.

Regards

Farrukh

Thanks, although not the answer I was hoping for, Ill look into tuning these rules.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: