Hi All,

Can any one explain me about parameter permanent

ip route X.Y.Z.0 255.255.255.0 A.B.C.1 permanent

Thanks,

Madan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Madan

If you have a static route with AD equal 1 and with permanent specified, then it will always be in the routing table (even if the next hop is not reachable) and the second route with higher distance will never be put into the routing table or used.

This is one aspect that should be evaluated in making the decision whether to specify permanent. Someone made the decision to use permanent and it prevents using floating static routes to get around a failure.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Madan,

the permanent in a static route specifies that the route is not removed from the routing table, even if the next-hop interface shuts down or next-hop IP address is not reachable.

HTH,

Mark

can i have other route with highest preference with the "distance"

distance "0"

can i have distance 0 for a route with out directly connected

I don't believe you can configure a distance of zero with a static route. The only way to have a distance of 0 is to be directly connected. If you want to have floating static routes just let the preferred route use the default distance of 1 and the second route with a higher distance such as 10.

Mark

Already there is a route with the permanent and distance of 1

If i have the second route with high distance value.

Being the first route with the distance of 1 and having permanent parameter will the second route be taken if the next hop is not reachable of first route ?

Thanks for the reply

Madan

If you have a static route with AD equal 1 and with permanent specified, then it will always be in the routing table (even if the next hop is not reachable) and the second route with higher distance will never be put into the routing table or used.

This is one aspect that should be evaluated in making the decision whether to specify permanent. Someone made the decision to use permanent and it prevents using floating static routes to get around a failure.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I agree with rick. It would not work having floating static routes with the lower distance being permanent. This would do you no good if the preferred interface went down.

Mark

Madan

I am glad that my response did resolve your question. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that there was a response which did resolve the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: