cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow Throughput accross entire domain

Tim Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for suggestions/solutions as to slow wireless throughput. Hospital with a number of wireless laptops and tablets. Users can use applications fine, however, when trying to perform an application upgrade over the wireless - or even just copying a large file, it is considerably slower. A 100mb file copying from a server share to a wireless tablet will take 45-60 minutes. I have tested using the intel wireless chipset, with the cisco AIR-CB21AG pcmcia card, and using an AP with only my wireless connection.

The infrastructure is model 1242 and 1231 AP's configured with A/B/G radios.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

What size VLANs do you have mapped to each ESSID, and how many users are in those VLANs?

Do you run any multicast traffic?

What datarate do your clients think they run at?

How long does a similar action take over the wire (using the same source & destination subnets)?

The largest vlan is for laptops/tablets, and there are between 75-100 of them spread across about 150 AP's consisting of about 10-15 AP's grouped into a WDS - each floor being a WDS.

There is also a vlan dedicated for handeheld devices, which exists but no devices are using. I have connected a laptop to this vlan and obtain the same results.

You have the same results with a laptop wired to the network? If so, the you need to look at your infrastructure. If this only happens with wireless and not wired on the same vlan then it can be a configuration issue.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Agreed Scott! It looks like you have a routing issue or a multicast issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: