cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stretch VLAN across WAN

trippi
Level 1
Level 1

I have a DR site in another city, 90 miles away, connected via AT&T MPLS connection. Anyway to stretch a VLAN across sites??

10 Replies 10

trippi
Level 1
Level 1

without having a 7200 series router to do L2TPv3...

I have 2821s...

Or is this something I can get from AT&T..

Hello Andy,

>> Or is this something I can get from AT&T..

yes, just ask for an EoMPLS service that is L2VPN service over MPLS is the best choice to avoid performance issues.

I used L2TPv3 on C3725 or C3745, I don't know for 2821 try using feature navigator

http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

I've checked basic L2tpv3

for example:

12.4(20)T ADVANCED ENTERPRISE SERVICES WITH SNA SWITCHING c2800nm-adventerprisek9_sna-mz.124-20.T.bin

this requires 256MB RAM and 64 MB flash

Hope to help

Giuseppe

EoMPLS is different from the MPLS connection I have now? Or would I just need to update the IOS to one that supports L2TPV3 and run?

Hello Andy,

EoMPLS is a different service from L3 VPN so it requires to buy a new service from your provider with a different access link on each side. Price should be low but however it adds to current expenses.

Otherwise you can try with L2TPv3 on the CE routers, the question is how much traffic do you expect on this DR service ?

I'm afraid 2821 cannot handle high volume traffic over L2TPv3.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi

I also have a question for stretch VLAN. I have ptp between two sites and how can I strectch the vlan from one site to another site. BTW, I have cisco 2691 router.

Thanks

Sai

Hello Sai,

if you have a Frame-Relay point-to-point link you can use bridging over the WAN.

Be aware that all broadcast traffic will be bridged and will consume bandwidth

bridge 1 protocol ieee

bridge 1 route ip

int eth0/0

bridge-group 1

int ser0/0

enc frame-relay

int ser0/0.100 point-to-point

frame-rel interface-dlci 100

bridge-group 1

ip address 10.2.3.1 255.255.255.252

interface BV1

ip address 10.10.20.1 255.255.255.0

desc l3 interface for Vlan over two sites

the same must be done on the other router

Hope to help

Giuseppe Larosa

Thanks Guiseppe

I have 2xT1 with multilink. Is that going to work the same configuration? This is my first time for this kind of task. Thanks in advance.

Sai

Sai,

I strongly recommend against extending your broadcast domain over a 3Mbps unreliable WAN link. Some odd results can occur in your network.

I'm sure your requirement can be met in a routed network. I haven't seen a design that calls for extending Vlan over a slow WAN. Yes, I'm aware of some Microsoft products that require services to be in the same LAN but I'm sure there are ways to make it work over a routed network.

HTH,

__

Edison.

awatkins
Level 1
Level 1

If this needs to be done, then I would use an l2tpv3 psuedowire on the routers at each end of your MPLS cloud.

We do this occationally in customer nets where they need effectively a l2 vlan spanned accross sites.

you'll want a dot1q int on each router with no local ip address and set up Xconnect over the IP MPLS cloud.

Am I able to do this with a new dot1q subinterface? I don't want to impact the existing routed traffic. I just want to add this subnet to this location without removing the other different existing subnets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: