cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Groups not using correct VLAN

joseph.kukis
Level 1
Level 1

I have AP Groups enabled so when users connect to SSID 'X' in one building they get an IP address from one vlan, and when they connect to SSID 'X' in another building they get an IP address from another VLAN.

The problem I am running into is that SSID 'X' is assigning an IP address from the vlan that is assigned to the original WLAN, and not the one assigned in the AP Group.

I'm 99% sure that the AP Group VLAN mappings are supposed to override the original VLAN to SSID mapping.

I have one laptop that I can connect to the SSID and get an IP address from the AP Group assigned VLAN, all other laptops I test on that SSID get IP addresses from the original VLAN to SSID mapping.

Anyone seen this or have any suggestions?

3 Replies 3

tkhan
Level 1
Level 1

Are both VLANs available to the controller via the allowed list on the trunk? I'm assuming that both building's VLANs can be seen by the switch connected to the controller.

csthorne
Level 1
Level 1

You might want to look at "wlan overide" on your access points. You can setup different interfaces w/vlan tagging that are associated with a specific wlan/ssid. You then can specify which ssid will be used at specific access points.

Actually, Tkhan is right here. WLAN override only serves to limit which WLANs a specific AP radio broadcasts. Check your trunk links to ensure that VLANs are all configured properly. If you're using the management interface for your WLAN, your clients will all DHCP on the native VLAN of your trunk link.

Be warned, though. Some clients may have issues when roaming from one building to the other. Cisco controllers do not support L3 roaming, and a client may experience a sharp hiccup when trying to get an address after moving to the next building.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: