cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Auxiliary Port on a Router

DougKingSr
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is probably going to be a stupid question but how do I disable a router's auxilary port. I know that to set it up you start with "line aux 0" in the configuration but I don't see where you can shut it down.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Doug,

try

line aux 0

transport protocol input none

transport protocol output none

So it shouldn't be used

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Doug,

try

line aux 0

transport protocol input none

transport protocol output none

So it shouldn't be used

Hope to help

Giuseppe

There is not a command

for any router that will disable the aux port. However, you can probably use "autocommand exit" under "line aux 0" config, if you want

to prevent someone just to hook up a pc to the aux port and gain access to the box.

Giuseppe

transport input none seems to be the default on the line aux since it does not show up in the running config after being configured:

R2(config)#line aux 0

R2(config-line)#transport input none

R2(config-line)#do sho run | begin line aux

line aux 0

transport output none

line vty 0 4

And while transport input none and transport output none are effective on the vty they are not effective on the aux. Here is what happens when I connect on the aux which has been configured with transport input none:

R2 tty1 is now available

Press RETURN to get started.

R2>who

Line User Host(s) Idle Location

0 con 0 idle 00:00:22

* 1 aux 0 idle 00:00:00

Interface User Mode Idle Peer Address

R2>

notice that the active session is on the aux.

Syed

autocommand exit is a very creative solution and I believe would be pretty effective. But there is a more simple solution which is highly effective. Under line aux 0 configure "no exec". Then if anyone should connect to the aux port there is no reaction and effectively the port is dead.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Rick,

thanks for your attention.

I had recently used an aux on a C2620 to connect to a the console of a C7206VXR.

And I had added transport input all or transport output all under the aux to fix it.

I remenbered about the no exec later.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

bryantvalencia
Level 1
Level 1

Or

Router(config)# line aux 0

Router(config-line)# no exec

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card