cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Beginner's BGP route map question

CriscoSystems
Level 5
Level 5

I imagine this is a beginner's-calibre; bonk-me-over-the-head-with-a-saucepan-for-asking kind of question, but here it is anyway:

When I was troubleshooting my other BGP issue that y'all were so helpful with, I tried configuring a route-map to set the weight to 100 for incoming routes. I created a route-map named "Toby" (Toby is my nephew!) like this here:

Sethtek-G#conf term

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

Sethtek-G(config)#route-map Toby

Sethtek-G(config-route-map)#match next-hop 1

Sethtek-G(config-route-map)#set weight 100

Sethtek-G(config-route-map)#exit

Sethtek-G(config)#access-list 1 permit host 172.16.0.2

Sethtek-G(config)#router bgp 190

Sethtek-G(config-router)#neighbor 172.16.0.2 route-map Toby

% Incomplete command.

Sethtek-G(config-router)#neighbor 172.16.0.2 route-map Toby in

% "Toby" used as BGP inbound route-map, nexthop match not supported

Sethtek-G(config-router)#

Dumb question: Why is nexthop match not supported for INBOUND routes? Aren't those the only routes for which the next-hop attribute is even interesting?

2 Replies 2

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Seth,

As the messages indicated, you can use the match next next-hop statement on an inbound bgp route-map. You don't really need the match statement as you probably want to set the weight for all updates coming from that neighbor.

You could also just do:

neighbor 172.16.0.2 weight 100

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Well no, the message indicated that you CAIN'T use the next-hop for an inbound route map, and I don't understand why.

In a multiaccess IBGP network, plenty of routes with different next-hops could be coming in from a single neighbor. And "probably" doesn't cut it, because if you want to adjust the weights on a per-route basis (isn't that the whole point of the weight attribute anyway), I don't see why you shouldn't be able to.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card