Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS learning mode !!!

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

Hi netpros,

Is there any way to configure the IPS module on an ASA firewall to only generate alerts (first phase of deployment). I am not sure about whether setting the 'event overwrite' option to 'Alert' and setting the RR to 0-100 will do the trick. I am currently thinking to also create a copy of the sig0 signatures and changing the pre-defined actions to Alert only but of course I would rather perform the first approach - Event Overwrite - if possible.

Any input would be much appreciated !

Cheers,

4 Replies 4

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you should be able to do this using event action overrides but you have to make sure you subtract all possible deny actions (deny packet,deny connection etc.) Another way could be to 'select all' for all the signatures then changes the action to Product Alert. Once the testing phase is finished, you can 'Select All' signatures and click on the 'Restore Defaults' button.

The copy procedure you are currently adopting is unnecessary.

Regards

Farrukh

Hi Farrukh,

appreciate your input .. I created a copy as a backup measure as I did not want to mess up with the pre-defined values.

I had followed the second approach as I think the 'event overwrite' only adds actions to the ones already defined on the signatures .. Is that correct ..?

cheers,

Actually there are two different type of event action rules or manipulators, the first one adds actions and the other subtracts. The former is known as ' Event Action Overrides' and the latter is known as 'Event Action Filters'. have a look at this for more details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ips/6.1/configuration/guide/idm/idm_event_action_rules.html#wp2060515

Regards

Farrukh

Cheers,

I would have a look at the links !!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: