cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using dot11 as a WAN interface

mccann.matt
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to connect a remote office to a central network using the routers dot11 interface to serve as the WAN connection between the two networks. Unfortunately, I've had a hard time finding relevant documentation. Any suggests or direction to documentation would be much appreciated.

Note: The router in question in the 871W.

Thanks,

Matt McCann

6 Replies 6

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

I have never heard of anyone trying to do this - why do you want to?

I am a student at Ohio State University and the university provides campus-wide WiFi that the students pay a hefty "Technology Fee" to help provide. Now that I am moving off campus, I was hoping to bridge the rather large gap between my new home and the nearest point of broadcast so that I can avoid having to purchase internet access. Hence the need to route traffic over the dot11

Well you would need to know if:-

1) They have a specific infrastructure SSID

2) You have access to the pre-shared key

3) You have the correct equipment - i.e wireless AP

4) You could then setup your equipment as a non-root ap, configure the wireless user SSID, and voila - free wireless.

HTH.

Yes, I have all of those things covered. So basically, all I really need to know at this point is how to configure the router to bridge the wireless. Now if I could just find a tutorial on the matter...

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Matt,

use the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/wireless.html#wpxref79536

configure both wireless lans on the same ip subnet in the remote router you need a defaul route pointing to central site.

On central site a static route for the remote site's lan.

And of course NAT if internet access is desired

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: