cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using dot11 as a WAN interface

mccann.matt
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to connect a remote office to a central network using the routers dot11 interface to serve as the WAN connection between the two networks. Unfortunately, I've had a hard time finding relevant documentation. Any suggests or direction to documentation would be much appreciated.

Note: The router in question in the 871W.

Thanks,

Matt McCann

6 Replies 6

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

I have never heard of anyone trying to do this - why do you want to?

I am a student at Ohio State University and the university provides campus-wide WiFi that the students pay a hefty "Technology Fee" to help provide. Now that I am moving off campus, I was hoping to bridge the rather large gap between my new home and the nearest point of broadcast so that I can avoid having to purchase internet access. Hence the need to route traffic over the dot11

Well you would need to know if:-

1) They have a specific infrastructure SSID

2) You have access to the pre-shared key

3) You have the correct equipment - i.e wireless AP

4) You could then setup your equipment as a non-root ap, configure the wireless user SSID, and voila - free wireless.

HTH.

Yes, I have all of those things covered. So basically, all I really need to know at this point is how to configure the router to bridge the wireless. Now if I could just find a tutorial on the matter...

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Matt,

use the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/wireless.html#wpxref79536

configure both wireless lans on the same ip subnet in the remote router you need a defaul route pointing to central site.

On central site a static route for the remote site's lan.

And of course NAT if internet access is desired

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card