cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is Cisco 3845 router supports IGRP routing protocol?

ramu.chichula
Level 1
Level 1

Sir,

Now we are migrating to New Router with 3845 series.Earlier router is 3600 old router.On this router Igrp routing protocol using.But in new router doesn't support igrp routing.Pls confirm whether supports or not

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ramu

Cisco has removed support for IGRP from current versions of IOS. I doubt that there is any version of IOS that runs on the 3845 that would have support for IGRP.

In the long term I believe that you should plan to change the network over to user EIGRP on all routers. In the short term it should be possible to run EIGRP on the 3845 and to run IGRP and EIGRP on the routers which form neighbor relationships with the 3845, and to redistribute between IGRP and EIGRP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Tnks for your prompt response.Ours is 12.4(9) version.If i configure ,Wat abt Brach routers Routing protcols.Suppose in my End Eigrp routing uses ,other end Igrp or Ospf any other protocols uses is it Effects bad results in routing updates,Pls confirm me.

Tnks

Ramu

Is Eigrp supports Multi routing protocols on the other end routers.?

Ramu

I do not understand your question:

"Is Eigrp supports Multi routing protocols on the other end routers.?"

Cisco routers support running multiple routing protocols. If you have Cisco routers at the branch then the branch routers do support running multiple protocols.

If this does not address your question then please clarify the question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ramu

If the router being replaced was running IGRP then I made the assumption that the entire network was running IGRP. If you are running OSPF or some other protocol in parts of the network then please give us more information about the topology and protocols of your network.

As I explained in my first post if the new router can not run IGRP then I believe that the logical choice is for it to run EIGRP. If that router is running EIGRP then any router that needs to establish a neighbor relationship would need to also run EIGRP (which would probably include your branch routers). If there are other routers in the network that do not need to establish neighbor relationship with this router then they can continue to run IGRP and some routers will need to redistribute.

Any time you run multiple protocols and redistribute routes then it introduces some complexity into the network. There is a high degree of similarity and compatibility between IGRP and EIGRP. It is much easier to redistribute between these protocols than it is to redistribute with OSPF, etc.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Tnks sir,

Very Helpful .To Minimise the risk factor in a production environment,is it better to configure EIGRP routing protocol on the other end routers also?Pls confirm.

Ramu

Yes it is better to configure EIGRP on the other end router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: