cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

please help w/ntwk mngmt if you can. Thanks

cisco steps
Level 1
Level 1

I have a good number of rtr and sw. on my network , I would like to set up a ntwk mangement station that will monitor the fan and other hardware failure. I know that "show environment" will give me that info . but I do not want to go the each device and enter the command , I would like the info to be sent to the management station each day ..that is by using SNMP .. is that possible..? or is there other way to get this info like runing a script or something.. Thanks for ur hlp

1 Reply 1

branfarm1
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there,

There's certainly going to be many potential solutions to what you're asking about. The correct answer for *you* will depend on your organization, your budget, and your familiarity with other technologies.

If you're looking for a good way to monitor your devices and be alerted when something goes awry, might I suggest Nagios (www.nagios.org).

Nagios is a fairly powerful, and highly customizable linux based monitoring tool that can do a wide variety of SNMP based monitoring. It has a nice web interface, and can be configured to send emails to different people/groups, based on the time of day. Best of all, it's free!

I currently use Nagios to monitor the HSRP status and fan/temp status of my switches,and the failover status of my firewalls. I found a file on the Nagios website that included some SNMP perl scripts that polled for that information. It's worked great, and even alerted me when an firewall failover event occurred.

Like I said earlier, the solution for you is going to depend on a lot of different things, but Nagios is certainly capable of monitoring and alerting on exactly the items you mentioned. It might be worth a shot.

Hope that helps!

--Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: