cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No Dial tone after pressing 9 for outside line

Cynth.Fair
Level 1
Level 1

There is No Dial tone after pressing 9 for an outside line. There is a route pattern defined 9.@ with Provide Outside Dial Tone checked in Call Manager 4.1. The was working up until recently. I can still make outside calls. I do hear a dial tone right after I dial the next digit. Is there a fix for this?

10 Replies 10

Michael Owuor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cindy,

This means that that there is another pattern present other than the 9.@ route pattern, which also begins with 9, but which does not have Provide Outside Dial Tone checked.

When CallManager does digit analysis as one dials, it evaluates the possible matches digit by digit. In your case when 9 is dialed, CallManager considers both route patterns as possible matches because they both begin with 9. After the second digit is dialed, the second pattern is eliminated from consideration apparently because it no longer matches. At this point, only the 9.@ route pattern is a potential match, and since it has Provide Outside Dial Tone checked, the tone is played.

So the key takeaway is that outside dial tone is not played until all the remaining patterns that are possible matches have provide outside dial tone checked.

Use the Route Plan Report to determine which other pattern beginning with 9 and which does not have Provide Outside Dial Tone is causing the issue.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael.

Thank you I will look into it. This makes sense. I recently created CTI route points beginning with the number 9. These are associated with voice mail boxes. We are migrating from an NEC-Octel system to VoIP and wanted to use the same mail box numbers. There are no physical devices associated with the CTI route points.

You're welcome, Cindy. If your CTI route points absolutely must begin with 9, you could alleviate the problem using Partitions and Calling Search Spaces.

For example, if the CTI route point DN's are in a dedicated partition, then put that partition only in the CSS of devices that must reach the CTI route point DN's directly, and exclude it from the CSS of regular phone users.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael.

Hi Michael,

Great analysis here! +5 points for this excellent help :)

As always, thanks!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your very kind feedback. Hope your weekend's off to a great start :-)

Regards,

Michael.

I have a similar trouble. One of my customers have changed their access code to a 7. Their voice mail ports also start with a 7. The end user presses 7 to dial outside, but they do not hear the outside dialtone until the second digit, because the ccm doesn't have a match until the second digit. I initially thought your fix would resolve my trouble as well, but unfortunately the end users need to dial voice mail. Is there a work around for my trouble. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide!

Is it possible you can change the number to your voicemail ports?

Yes, we will do that, if we can't find a work around.

I placed all the cti route points into their on partition and CSS and I still have the same issue. I do not have the option of changing the voice mail box numbers. Is there any other possible solution?

Hi Cindy,

Please confirm that:

1. The CSS of the phones that are experiencing the delayed outside dial tone do not have access to the partition that the CTI route points are in.

2. All the CTI route points are in the designated partition. If there are any that do not have an explicit partition assigned, then these are in the 'None' partition, which is accessible to all devices regardless of their CSS. Use the route plan report to confirm this.

3. There are no other patterns that begin with 9 and do not have Provide Outside Dial Tone checked. Use the route plan report to confirm this by searching for all patterns that begin with 9 and reviewing the patterns returned.

If all of the above are true, this solution should work :-). If you've confirmed all of these, you might be running into an issue where you have to restart the CallManager service in order for changes to CSS and partitions to take effect.

Let us know if these check out.

Regards,

Michael.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: