cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MTRJ and SFP modules for small workgroup switch connection

rvenzor
Level 1
Level 1

I have a server that's connected via MTRJ to a 3750 running at 100MB. We want to replace the one server with three that run at 1GB. I'm trying to find a device/solution that i can connect the 100MB MTRJ connection to a switch and the three 1GB servers (i'm locked into having to provide 1GB speed) to the same switch. What Equipment should I get?

I've seen the 3750G, and it has the 1-GB connections for servers, but I can't seem to find an SFM module to plug the MTRJ 100MB (100Base-FX) connection. Besides that, the Spec sheet only says "1GB uplinks".

On the other hand, if i went with a CE500G, the servers would have a 1GB link, and i can see from the Tech Datasheet the uplinks can go 10/100/1000. I didn't see how the MTRJ would then be connected (part number?)

2 Replies 2

htarra
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, you can go with Catalyst 3750. Here is the URL for the for the Catalyst 3750 hardware,

Which will help you :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/hardware/installation/guide/HIGCABLE.html

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

You most likely want

GLC-GE-100FX

I think this is the one you use when your port is a gig port. There is another part GLC-FE-100FX but I think that one the SFP port is only running at 100.

The 3750G has the GLC-GE-100FX as a supported in most models

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card