cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Defining Rate-Limit

md_ani
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2 MBps link and I want to to reserve 1.5 MBps for SMTP only. Pls suggest the best way to do this. Currently I have done thru 'rate-limit' as per below config. pls check the same and suggest the best configs.

rate-limit input access-group 102 2000000 375000 750000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

access-list 102 permit tcp any any eq smtp

Anis

4 Replies 4

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

To configure an access list for use with committed access rate (CAR) policies, use the access-list rate-limit global configuration command

access-list rate-limit acl-index {precedence | mac-address | exp | mask mask}

The following command help you to get more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/switch/command/reference/xrfscmd1.html#wp1057318

Thanks Dear,

But from the link provided I am not able to understand how to provide precedence to some IPs for SMTP only. In my case I have 2 MB Internet Link & I want to restrict 1.5 MB for SMTP only for some IPs.

Anis

let say the IPs are 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.3

do like ;

access-list 100 permit tcp host 192.168.1.2 any eq 25

access-list 100 permit tcp host 192.168.1.3 any eq 25

class-map smtp

match access-group 100

policy-map smtp-policy

class smtp

police 150000 exceed-action drop

interface [outside interface to WAN]

service-policy output smtp-policy

if helpful rate

Thanks Dear,

Actually I have already applied the ACL as suggested but towards Inside and the problem I am facing in it is users are not able to receive attachments (in mail) more than 1 to 1.5 MB although Mail is coming. Hope this is becoz we have given 'drop' as action but I have tried other options also but the result is same.

Anis