Views
Helpful
Replies

Help Configuring Unequal Load Balance

ziaullakhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone

Can some one help me configuring unequal load balance in a single 3800 series router. I have 2 wan connections from a single ISP. One is via fiber (8MB) and the other is via Wireless (2MB). I want to utilized both the wan links; like 70% of traffic should go via fiber link and 30% of traffic should go via warless. And at the same time the wireless should work as a backup link. Can some one please help me configuring this…….

BR

Zia Khan

5 Replies 5

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Zia

Are you using these links for internet connectivity or for accessing any applications via the links ???

regds

Dear Kumar,

Both the links are for internet access only.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Zia,

if on the sides of both links there is a single ISP the only way I know would be to use EIGRP protocol with variance 4 command.

But it is difficult an ISP will give the EIGRP option unless it is providing connectivity over an MPLS cloud and you are using an MPLS L3 VPN service.

If the ISP is providing you internet access and EIGRP is not an option I think you can only define the wireless link as the backup of the primary link.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Dear Giuseppe,

My ISP doesn't have any MPLS cloud and they neither using any MPLS L3 VPN service. I want to solve this issue since its been long time now. please help cant I used any policy or some other thing to achieve unequal load balance.

BR

Zia Khan

Zia,

If all traffic is originating in your LAN or in other words if you know the source of traffic then i would suggest you:

1. split your network in 2 subnets....1 being a major (subnet 1) and another minor (Subnet 2)...

2. define ACLs for both subnets

3. configure a route-map....like this

route-map loadbalance permit 10

match ip address subnet1

set ip next-hop serial

set ip next-hop wireless

route-map loadbalance permit 20

match ip address subnet2

set ip next-hop wireless

set ip next-hop serial

then on router internal interface apply this route-map with ip policy loadbalance command

now major chunk of traffic should be routed to serial as primary and to wireless if serial goes down.

Hope it will help

Chetan !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card